In April 26, 1699 letter from Andrew Hamilton to "Right Honourable the Lords Com. of his Majesty's Treasury" notes inland postage rates:
-   6d Where the distance from New Yorke to Boston is within 80 miles the postage
-   9d Where the distance exceed 80 miles and within 150 miles
- 12d Postage to and from Boston to New Yorke being 300 miles
- 18d To and from Boston to Jersey 370 miles
- 20d To and from Boston and Philadelphia 390 miles
- 36d To and from Boston to Annapolis in Maryland 550 miles
- 42d To and from Boston and James Towne in Virginia 680 miles
- 24d To and from New Yorke to Annapolis 250 miles
- 30d To and from New Yorke to James Towne 380 miles and many broad and dangerous
Bays and Rivers to be Ferryed over
Sources, bibliography, tables and index.
Smith, William. The History of the Post Office in British North America, 1639-1870. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 1920.