|Virginia Manufactory||Fifth Street||Richmond||Virginia||1797||1820|
|Virginia Manufactory||Fifth Street||Richmond||Virginia||1860||1865|
| || || |
| || |
Also called Richmond Armory and Virginia State Armory
Autorized by Act of December, 1797 state of Virginia, to provide arms for the Milita. The Armory was built at the foot of Fifth Street fronting on the James River. Production began in 1802 and continued until 1820, when the premises were occupied by a school. It is believed that James Haslett accomplished his contract with the state of Virginia while working here. This is supported by a letter from John Shee at Philadelphia, and addressed to the Governor of Virginia to the effect that "he thinks Clarke (a Virginia State official) will be enabled to engage Haslett, formerly with McCormick, for the Richmond Armory, who can influence 15 or 20 good workmen." In 1860 the armory was rehabilated, partly with machinery secured by purchase and partly from Martin's Ferry. Salomon Adams became master armorer and produced "Richmond" rifles unthe the close of the rebellion.
Many well known gun manufacturers as Deringer, Nippes, Ritchie, Steinmann and Winner were working for the Virginia Manufactory during the first 10 years of the 19th century.
Renamed the Richmond Armory in 1861 – was reactivated after being shut down for 38 years
.50 caliber flintlock, 2nd model rifle, 41 13/16" octagonal barrel, marked VIRGINIA and RICHMOND over date 1809
.50 caliber flintlock, 2nd model rifle, lock
.50 caliber flintlock, 2nd model rifle, lock with markings
.50 caliber flintlock, 2nd model rifle, patchbox
.50 caliber flintlock, 2nd model rifle, counterside of lock
2ND MODEL MUSKET. "1812 type" musket. Cal. 69.
Conversion from a Virginia Manufactory musket.Bbl is about 29", smoothbore cut from musket bbl. Lock is marked "Virginia Manufactory/Richmond 1816" and is missing hammer. Hammer screw is broken.
.69 caliber flintlock, 1st Model Pistol, 12" round barrel, manufactured about 1805 to 1811, production was about 2200 pistols. Part of them were altered to percussion.
1st model alteration to percussion
.54 caliber flintlock, 2nd Model Pistol, 10" round barrel, manufactured about 1812 to 1815, production was about 4200 pistols. Part of them were altered to percussion.
2nd model flintlock