|Thames Arms Company|| ||Norwich||Connecticut||1880s||19??|
| || || |
| || |
The Thames Arms Company was originally incoporated as
The Thames Chain & Stamping Company on August 28, 1896. Subscribers of the capital stock of $10'000 (100 shares) were
James D. Robertson, Norwichm who hold 35 shares
Frederic W. Carey, Norwich, who hold 59 shares
Herbert B. Carey, Noweich, who hold 1 share
William Hieca, Norwich, who hold 5 shares.
On September 21, 1900 the name was changed to The Thames Arms Company The business of thas company is quite understood. The sold exact copies of the Hopkins & Allen revolvers and therefore it can be believed that Thames Arms Company was only created to sold Hopkins & Allen made guns to others than Merwin, Hulbert & Co.
Anyway, Thames Arms Company figured already as of 1885 on some top break revolvers and on some solid frame XL revolvers of H&A. Therefore its origine was likely a trademark of Hopkins & Allen. One more argument is that they utilized the J. Boland (assigned to H&A) and G.W. Cilley's patents as well as of much other patents granted to H&A or its stuff.
It might be that this Thames Chain & Stamping Company, respectively Thames Arms Company had a predecessor in Thayer, Robertson & Carey that existed from 1885 or earlier.
In standard works of tradenames Thames Arms Compnay is listened as a tradename or possibly tradename used by Forehand & Wadsworth Co., Hopkins & Allen as well as of Charles J. Godfrey, New York.
.22 r.f. caliber, 7 shot, top break
.32 S&W caliber, 6 shot double action revolver, top break, 3 1/4" barrel, marked THAMES ARMS CO. PAT JAN 5, Oct 5, 86
.38 caliber, 5 shot double action revolver, top break