This patent covered an odd looking shoulder stock attachment adapted to the
Savage navy revolver. It attached to the gun near the top of the frame and
was held by a screw entering through the bottom of the grip. Very few were made.
Edward Savage held a number of firearms and related patents. With the exception of the
shoulder stock patent, all of his percussion revolver patents were held in partnership
with Henry North. After the deaths of Simeon North in 1852 and James North in 1856,
Edward Savage became the sole owner of the old "North Pistol Works."
From 1856 to 1859, he operated his own factory making percussion revolvers under
the North, North & Skinner, and North & Savage patents. In 1859, the Savage Revolving
Fire Arms Co. was formed to take over the manufacture of the revolvers. Edward Savage
was one of the founders of the company and its first president. In 1861, he sold the
factory and was replaced as president by Charles Sebor.