William Kreps had six transactions of property, one mortage, one release, the purchase
of one slave and one bill of sale in the Washington County Courthouse during his lifetime.
He also participated in the purchase of ground for the Mount Zion Reform Church. His first
deed for $260 current money on April 2, 1798, was for the property of gunsmith Ernst Dietz.
On December 19, 1800, he also purchased from gunsmith John Gonter his house for $500.
A mortage indenture was from gunsmith George Kreps Sr. on July 5, 1811. He was known as a
gunsmith and hatter. On May 2, 1804, Kreps formed a partnership with George Binkley in the
dry goods and grocery business that was formerly Geroge Binkley and Co. This partnership was
dissolved in September of the same year. The mortgage holder George Sr. and William were both
active in the fire company in 1808. He was appointed postmaster of Elizabeth Town on
April 10, 1807. In the 1820 Washington County census there are two William Kreps. One of them
was a member of the building committee of the German Reform Church at Cavetown when the corner
stone was laid on August 8, 1827. The William Kreps who was later a post-master died in his
51st year on March 4, 1822. For additional information see Maryland Longrifles Hartzler/Whisker.