Appearing in Virginia records as early as 1623, Jackson patented a 3/8-acre waterfront
lot in New Towne. Archeologists believe that they have located this site, where Jackson
lived with his family and plied his trade. Quantities of lead sprue, gunflints, worked
chert, scrap metal fragments, iron ore limonite, slag, and lead shot recovered from
around the hearth of the two-room structure suggest a workshop for Jackson’s smithery.
Hot and messy activities were probably performed outside somewhere nearby.