See Smith, L.C., Smith, L.C. Gun Co. and Hunter & Comstock Arms
John Hunter bought out the L.C. Smith Company in 1889 and formed Hunter & Comstock Arms. The
company manufactured soon the L.C. Smith hammer gun. This gun was called Elsie and of very good
workmanship. At it's time it was one of the top five shotguns (Elsie, Ithaca, Levever, Parker and Fox)
around the year 1900.
The company went bankrupt in 1817. The company was purchased by Fulton business men. In 1945 the
company was sold to Marlin. It seems that at this time the company's name was L.C. Smith Gun Company.